What do I need to do to be able to run a car at the Crow Mountain Hillclimb?
This is a simple question with a not-so–simple answer. There are several different ways to go about this. We will tell you what is known and explain some different options.

1. Join SCCA
First and foremost, an applicant needs to become a member of SCCA.
SCCA is split into Divisions- Northeast, Midwest, South East, etc. The Southeast Division is split into smaller Regions. North Alabama is the Tennessee Valley Region of SCCA. To join SCCA, you can or call 800-770-2055.
2. Get a SCCA Legal Car and Equipment
More on this in the Car Requirements section...
3. Obtain an SCCA Road Race or Time Trials License
The Crow Mountain Hillclimb is a Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Time Trials Level 4 event. It requires a full SCCA Time Trials License or Road Racing License.
A. Road Racing License: You can run any time trials event, including hillclimbs, with a SCCA Regional, Divisional, or National Road Racing License.

You may obtain a road racing license for SCCA through an actual SCCA Division-run school. One of these is typically held every spring in Savanna, GA, at , or you may also attend one of the many SCCA-approved private-run schools to obtain your road racing license. You can find a schedule of these schools at the within the "" page. After completing one of these schools, you then send in the paperwork saying you completed the school, license application, medical form, and application fee and you will receive a regional road racing license.

B. Time Trials License: There is a Time Trials License and a Novice Time Trials License.
  • There are events in which, assuming the car is legally safe to run, you can drive without a Time Trials license. These are usually referred to as “flat track” events. While very exciting and fast, they do not pose the danger of a hillclimb; therefore, they are acceptable to run as a novice.
  • There are several ways to get a “full” license to run a SCCA Hillclimb. If you have no racing experience, just autocross experience, or have not done any racing in the last 5 years, you need to do one of the following things:

I. You can attend a Time Trials Drivers School. There are several held around the country. The nearest one is usually held in the spring at . To run this event you need to obtain a physical and have your physician and you will have to fill out a . You must enter the school event with a “logbooked” car (we’ll go over this later) and complete the weekend, satisfying the instructors that you are not a danger to yourself or others. Having completed the school weekend, you will then get your novice permit upgraded to a full license. You may now run SCCA (all Levels) Time Trials events.

II. If you cannot make the annual Time Trials school, or have missed it, the other route to a full license is to run three flat track events as a novice and then get approved to be upgraded to a full license. There are several other SCCA Time Trial events run in the Southeast that are flat-track events and can be run with a novice license. .

If you have a racing license from some other sanctioning body, then you can submit your experience for evaluation. To do this, you must become a SCCA member and fill out the license application, listing your racing experience, and send it to Steve Tompkins, the SEDIV Time Trials Steward, with a self-addressed stamped envelope for him to send back to you. Please indicate to Steve That you want a full license. Send license application w/ SASE to Steve at the following address:

Steve Tompkins, SCCA Time Trials
285 Lovella Dr.,
Ringgold, GA 30736

Steve will review your race history and either approve or deny with an explanation. You might still need to run one Time Trial event before a hillclimb to familiarize yourself with SCCA operating procedures.